Introducing FAFS Food – Quick Meals for Foster Parents
Parenting is hard – and then you have to cook! Quick meals for foster parents can be really helpful.
Enter FAFS Food, embrella’s latest video series aimed at providing useful food preparation tips and recipes that a busy foster parent can put together in flash.
In this video, we cover 4 easy-to-make BBQ-style recipes submitted from our staff. Originally developed for our staff summer picnic, we realized that BBQ is some of the best food regardless of the season! Pulled pork sliders, baked beans, coleslaw and deviled eggs add up to one delicious meal!
Below, you’ll find our how-to video that walks you through each of our recipes as well as the full recipes themselves, straight from the staff members who submitted them. If you like, you can even download our handy recipe sheets using the links provided in each recipe below.
Without further ado, let’s get cookin’:
Be on the lookout for the hashtag #fafsfood on our Twitter, the FAFS Instagram page, and the FAFS Facebook!
“Good-For-Your-Heart Baked Beans” – Quick Meals for Foster Parents
Recipe by Sandy
- Large Crock Pot
- 2 Large size cans of store brand Baked Beans
- 1 Large Onion
- Ketchup to taste (about ¾ cup)
- Mustard to taste (about 1/3 cup)
- Karo to taste (about ½ cup)
- Brown Sugar to taste (about 1 cup)
- Pour Baked Beans in crock pot.
- Add Ketchup, Mustard, Karo, and Brown Sugar.
- Chop Onion into small pieces, add to Baked Beans.
- Stir, cover, and turn Crock Pot on High.
- Leave cook for about 4 hours or until beans are in a full boil, remove lid and stir.
- Replace lid on a slight angle so that beans can vent and cook about another 2 hours, stirring occasionally until desired consistency is achieved.
Stir and ENJOY!
Click here to view and download the “Good-For-Your-Heart” Baked Beans Recipe Sheet.
“Aunt Tina’s Deviled Eggs” – Quick Meals for Foster Parents
Recipe by Lisa
- 2 Dozen Eggs
- 3 tsbp Mayo
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- Boil & shell eggs.
- Slice eggs in half and scoop yolks into mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and mustard to yolks.
- Mix until creamy.
- Scoop mixture into each egg half.
- Sprinkle paprika.
Click here to view and download the Aunt Tina’s Deviled Eggs Recipe Sheet.
“Tex-Mex Coleslaw” – Quick Meals for Foster Parents
Recipe by Corissa
- 2 (14oz) bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 can black beans
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 1 grilled corn on cob
- 1 minced bundle of fresh cilantro
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime
- 1 taco packet
- Grill Corn on Cob and cut corn off cob.
- Mix Coleslaw, Beans, Cilantro and Vegetables in a bowl with the corn.
- In separate bowl combine Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Lime Juice and Taco Seasoning.
- Add this mix to coleslaw and combine.
Click here to view and download the Tex-Mex Coleslaw Recipe Sheet.
“BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders” – Quick Meals for Foster Parents
Recipe by Lori
- 5lbs boneless pork ribs
- 48 0z bbq sauce
- Combine ribs and sauce in a crock pot.
- Cook on high for 6-7 hours (if necessary, increase cook time until pork is tender).
- Shred all the pork with a fork.
- Serve up on small slider bun or dinner roll.
Click here to view and download the Pulled Pork Sliders Recipe Sheet.
Frank Alvarez is the Digital Media Coordinator at Foster and Adoptive Family Services.